Your Regional Council and all the regional Councils
Choose your Region
The history of the Regional Councils
The Regional Councils since 1982
After a number of stages, a territorial collectivity was constituted on a regional ladder and succeeded on March 2nd 1982 thanks to the law of Decentralization. Each of the 22 Regions (the territory of which has been delimited since 1956) is administrated by the Regional Council, having as Executive the President of the Regional Council.
- The citizens elected their Regional Concillors for the first time in March 1986 by proportionnal ballot, for a period of 6 years.
- At the outcome of the law on Decentralization, different competences were accorded by the State to the Regions.
- It concerns mainly secondary schools, apprenticeships, prfessionnal formation,territorial adjustments, rail transport and interdepartmental public transport.
- However, the State shares certain of its own competences with different Territorial Collectivities especially with the Regions.
- The partnership intervenes notably in the case of the Contrat de Plan, which programs in terms of cost and the length of time of realization of important infrastructures on the whole of the National Territory, (TGV, Universities, motorways).
- Considering the important number of decisions to be made, the Regional Council delegates part of its attributions to the Permanent Commission.
- This commission is elected by the whole of the Regional Councillors who represent the Regional Assembly, they meet once a month and assure the permanence of th Regional Council.
- They deliberate regularily on all the questions submitted by the President and individualize the credits inscribed on the budget.
General Council in Conseil-General.com 1999/2013